Political Science & History major, Sofia Hamilton shares her experience with Cane2Cane

Sofia Hamilton is a senior at the University of Miami with majors in Political Science and History, and minors in International Studies and Sociology. She currently serves as the Administrative Director of the business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi, and is now interning for Congresswoman Salazar’s District Office. She is interested in pursuing a career in government and policy work. Sofia joined the Cane2Cane at the beginning of her sophomore year and when she was starting to think more seriously about her educational and career goals.

Here is what Sofia shared with us about her Cane2Cane experience.

1. How has C2C impacted your personal, educational, or career journey?

• “Cane2Cane has afforded me the opportunity to interact with many different professionals in a very broad field. When I first joined Cane2Cane, I had only a vague idea of what I wanted to do with my future. By having the chance to talk to these professionals in different roles, I have been able to create more concrete goals for myself when it comes to my education and career because I now have a better understanding of what I am passionate about and what I want my own future to look like.”

2. Tell us about a connection you’ve made on C2C.

• “My most memorable connection on Cane2Cane was my first connection, Megan Lipsky. Megan and I had a lot in common when it came to our education. When I first spoke to her, Megan was studying at Georgetown Law and she gave me such amazing advice on how to work towards law school during my undergraduate career. It was so encouraging to be able to speak to someone who had accomplished the same goals that I was working towards.”

3. What is one piece of advice you would like to offer students interested in seeking mentorship or breaking through the world of networking?

• “My best piece of advice for students who are beginning to network is to not say “no” to yourself. It can definitely be nerve-wracking to reach out to accomplished individuals, especially when you’re new to networking. But I have found that most people are actually really excited and flattered to be reached out to by students who are passionate about the same things that they are. So don’t discount yourself — reach out to the people who are in the field that you are working towards and let them know what you are looking for. Everyone has had mentors who have guided them, and most people are more than willing to give back!”

*This Cane2Cane testimonial and mentorship story was shared by Sofia in October 2021.*

Want to be a mentor or looking for a mentor? Join Cane2Cane today!

By Keashla Marengo
Keashla Marengo Communication & Entertainment