The Professor is In – Negotiating Offers

How to Hop From One Tenure Track Job to Another

BY  | MAY 14, 2021

“I Ran and Hid From My Computer” – Women and Negotiating Redux

Yet another woman client (this time a senior, tenured scholar) with a tenured offer from a famously wealthy and elite institution, was told by all of her mentors that she was “crazy” for wanting to negotiate the offer, and would risk “alienating … [Read more…]about “I Ran and Hid From My Computer” – Women and Negotiating Redux

Careering Toward Authenticity – #Postac Post by Karen Cardozo

by Karen Cardozo Here is a sentence I never thought I’d say: I was tenured and promoted (in April 2017, to Associate Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts). Now, here is another I never … [Read more…]about Careering Toward Authenticity – #Postac Post by Karen Cardozo

How To Apply for Your Second Job

[Updated July 2017.] Today is a Special Request Post for Matt, who wishes to know the ins and outs of applying for a second tenure track job.   That is to say, how to apply for a job when you are already in a tenure track position but hope or dream … [Read more…]about How To Apply for Your Second Job

How (Not) to Negotiate a Tenure Track Salary

It’s offer season, and negotiations are underway. I have written a lot about negotiating tenure track offers; here are some links: Part VII of my book, on Negotiating OK, Let’s Talk About Negotiating Salary Will My Offer Be Rescinded If I … [Read more…]about How (Not) to Negotiate a Tenure Track Salary

How to Write Your Own Rec. Letter, plus All of my Vitae columns

In my two+ gratifying and enjoyable years of writing for Chronicle Vitae, I’ve only had one column rejected by them, and it is this one, which I submitted late in December as an end-of-year compendium of all my columns, organized thematically. I … [Read more…]about How to Write Your Own Rec. Letter, plus All of my Vitae columns

How to Apply for a Dean Position (A Guest Post in the form of an interview)

The writer of this post is dean at a public liberal-arts-and-science college in the Midwest. S/he has spent a career in public higher education at comprehensive and baccalaureate campuses in a number of instructional and administrative … [Read more…]about How to Apply for a Dean Position (A Guest Post in the form of an interview)

The Job Offer Digest

Those of you who follow me on Facebook know that last week a little debate arose there about whether it was good to anonymously post all the job (and postdoc) offers received by my clients, or if that practice had the effect of making less successful … [Read more…]about The Job Offer Digest

By Mihret Russo
Mihret Russo