Naturalist Interns conduct and assess nature programs and interpretations. They also assist in animal husbandry tasks, veterinary care, and diets for all our reptiles. They assist the Head and Assistant Naturalists in ongoing research projects as needed. He or she must demonstrate excellent communication, follow up and customer services skills. The position is temporary full time, seasonal and includes weekends and holidays.
Duties and Responsibilities
Animal care and exhibit maintenance:
- Naturalists are responsible for the daily/weekly/monthly animal care.
- Enclosure maintenance (including, but not limited to) Maintaining clean bedding, water bowl changes, cleaning fecal matter, etc.
- Monitoring temperature and humidity levels.
- Administering/monitoring diet for all AC animals. This includes feeding our snakes and alligators for a feeding program to teach our guests about our animal’s diets.
- Identifying levels of stress, dehydration, and other medical issues in reptiles .
- Administering veterinary care as needed.
- Monitoring water chemistry (Ammonia, pH, nitrate, nitrite, TDS)
- Conducting Water changes.
- Troubleshooting exhibit issues .
- Monitoring isolation the tank and its inhabitants .
**Monitoring all animal behaviors and ensuring their quality of life is top priority, keeping detailed notes is necessary. Notify the Head Naturalist with all changes/updates.
- Lead resort guests/residents on nature programs and answering all guest questions in a professional manner. Some of these programs include:
- Kayak tours (3-5 times throughout the week), gator walks, meet the animals, birding tours, cast net & seining programs, junior naturalist, turtle walk tours, etc.
- Interns are required to learn about the wildlife on Fripp Island to lead these programs.
- Naturalists will have the option of conducting an independent research project. (Will be required to present their research at the end of the internship period.)
- Naturalists and Recreation staff/interns both work out of the Activity Center.
- Naturalists will be expected to assist recreation staff with school groups, special events, recreation programs (including crafts, especially tie dye), and Camp Fripp programs.
- Responsible for educating guests and providing quality customer service including answering phone calls, taking reservations for programs, and completing sales transactions.
- Communicate and cooperate with all customers and levels of management and staff, vendors, and owners in a professional, courteous manner and a team-work attitude.
- Actively listen and appropriately respond to customer inquiries and complaints, always remaining composed and courteous showing genuine empathy and sincerity.
- Follow established policies and procedures by monitoring and ensuring compliance with organizational standards and operational processes.
- Practice proper safety techniques in accordance with resort, property, and departmental policies, procedures, and standards.
- Identify areas for improvement and offer suggestions to improve efficiency, profitability, and productivity.
- Keep abreast of current industry trends and standards and apply knowledge and practices to area(s) of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned or as necessary.
Skills and Qualifications
- College Major in Wildlife and fisheries biology, conservation management, zoology or relate major preferred.
- Experience in resort-orientated property or hospitality industry is recommended.
- Experience handling reptiles is a plus.
- CPR and First-Aid certified is preferred.
- Ability to organize, plan, and prioritize and multi-task with integrity and a positive, team-work attitude.
- Shows a professional, cooperative demeanor with a good sense of humor.
- Aptitude in Microsoft Office programs, general computer use, and app skills recommended.
- Required to work a 40-hour week, flexible schedule that will include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- May effectively read, write, and speak English.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and personal smart phone, criminal background check, and drug screening required.
- This position requires the ability work in tight spaces, bend, sit and/or stand and to lift to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, and repetitive hand & arm movements, and squeezing & overhead reaching.
- Must be able to go up and down numerous steps, bend, push, stoop, lift objects, squat, crawl, kneel, push, pull, and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Must be able to walk and drive outside in a variety of weather conditions (rain, wind, heat).
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation is an $10.50 per hour. Staff housing is provided on site with a $100.00 housing deposit due upfront and $100 housing payment deducted from pay each bi-weekly pay period. Enjoy full access to resort amenities including restaurants, fitness center, pools, golf, tennis, volleyball, and basketball.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, or efforts associated with this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Fripp Island Golf and Beach Resort is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or due to pregnancy.